Thursday 28 April 2016

The Service Chronicles 34: Ford Explorer




Wednesday dawned with darkness, there was no light and I had to do some things with electricity. This week so far has been a horrid affair of timelessness; like I need more than twenty four hours. We had devotion and gave the people travelling to camp our final words to them. 

 We got their bus ready and we all just hung around. Jennifer told the story of how Morakinyo rejected me from OBS (Orientation Broadcasting Service) simply put it is the radio on camp. He does not take graduates of private universities hence thwarting my dream of radio while on camp. 

In my restlessness I went to the kitchen, Miracle aka Police baby was on duty with Gbenga my barrister bae. They were cooking beans and I have to say the one they cooked the previous week was dope! I could not wait to eat another one. So I went to the kitchen and saw Jennifer talking with Gbade and Segun, I joined in and I have to say the conversation was interesting. 

We all tabled different people’s matter, when it came to my turn it was turning into an embarrassing affair for me. Like don’t put someone on the spot and ask him publicly if he likes a girl, thank God for Jennifer who applied her brain to the situation and turned the gist around. 

Food got ready and like usual I relished every spoonful of that meal. I got ready for work hoping I was not late and rushed to school. I had planned to read Native Son in the cab on my way and even in school in case I got there too early. Only for me to realize I had left it at home. 

By the time I got to school break was just ending and my class was second and third period after break. Sad stuff.  I sat in my office with nothing to do. 

After the class which required that I explained Native Son again I rushed to my house. I said hello to some of the Corpers I saw outside and boarded a bike to a bookshop that I wasn’t too sure of its location.
At this point the story gets scary. So I am on this bike for less than two minutes and these two men in a cream coloured Ford Explorer are flagging me down, now I am afraid because I was wearing a sleeveless blouse and a skirt that kept hiking up and the men were Muslims and I know this is a stupid fear but I was just afraid that they were going to give me some talk. I was sha afraid and I didn’t even see the need to stop my bike and listen to them. 

That is how these men started chasing me o. Like I took a detour and they followed me, o boy; I was afraid!!!! So I told the bike man to hurry and speed off, they still tried to follow me and I have to say thank God for the bike man who speed off and the men were off my tail. 

I got to the book shop made enquiries regarding the books I wanted to buy, made an appointment to see them on Friday and I left, took another bike to my house and I don’t know who sent the bike man to take a shortcut.  That is how I was looking for a song on my phone. Ehen before I forget I just download this new song Chris Brown, Usher and Zayn Malik. Pretty hot stuff, just that Zayn didn’t sound so sure of himself and his sexual skills. It’s a very hot song sha. 

Anywho back to my story, as I looked up from my phone you will not believe who I saw in front of me, it was no other person than the driver of the cream coloured Ford Explorer!!!!!! 

OMG! I was afraid o. I told the bike man to overtake the car and as I speed past this car, the man started blaring his horn, this time it was one man in the car. Chai the bike man couldn’t go fast enough. You know when how a car with a powerful engine sounds as its speeding,  that is how this car sounded and I was not in the car!

My brothers and sisters, this man followed me again o. There was even a time when we left him far behind at an intersection he still caught up with us and as I came down from the bike this man stopped his car telling me he wants to be my friend blah blah blah. I am too old for new creepy friends who would be chasing me in their cream cars.
It was a harrowing affair.

I got in, calmed down and told Jennifer and we laughed about it only for us to enter her house and Lanky her boyfriend played a prank on us. We were scared senseless.

I started watching an old series I used to watch on STV that time. Layo my love brought some food for me. God will bless her and then around five I set out to go back to the park for more fishing. 
On my way to camp you won't believe what I saw, a girl on a bike was being harassed by some guys in a car. Ilorin men are wonderful fellows.

None of my original partners turned up and the funny thing is that I almost told the person that was asked to follow me not to worry because I was riding on the assurance of some guys who classified football as important enough to skip out on a previous engagment.

Then at the park something strange happened.  I attempted to shake this guy who even called my name and was all smiles with me, only for him to decline my handshake, he turned out to be a Muslim, I didn’t know Muslims didn’t shake girls. Well now I know.

I had a little quarrel with Churchill, I don’t understand him these days and it really breaks my heart, good thing I am over him. Only God knows what I was thinking in the first place. 

I got back to Fate went to Shoprite and then home. A new girl came last night funny story; two of her classmates happened to have spent the night in the lodge the previous night.  

I watched more on the new series I am watching the name is Dark Angel by the way and my phone is bad again o. I am going to kill that guy that supposedly repaired it

Nkem Oyaghire

No comments: