Tuesday 12 April 2016

The Service Chronicles 21: Ray Power

I have to say that the weekend had a beautiful start. After devotion I just hung around reading and terrorizing the people plucking mangoes. There are like ten mango trees in the compound so we have a steady steady supply of mangos. After mango hunting and eating. I went to the shade of a tank and had a mini argument on the state of the country and I have to say this is the first verbal argument I have had on the deteriorating state of the nation this year. And like all the other arguments that have been going on everywhere in the country and in the country’s diaspora it has not reduced the price of fuel or the queues at the filling stations.

Well a few minutes after that I had a talk with Godswill and Koch. We are planning a sort of hangout at the lodge on the 14th which is on Thursday. It is a sort of send forth party for the outgoing batch A corp members of the fellowship, nothing spiritual just mad chills. I for one know it will be crazy fun, like the story of how I fell of a chair at one morning devotion in January will be told and so many others. Well if you are a Corper in Ilorin you should turn up with us.     

Koch, Godswill and I are on the planning committee and we were arranging the programme with so many laughs while a football match went on between the batch A and B boys. It was a draw and I really couldn’t care less because football is football and we all know how I feel about the game.
After the game I mistakenly went towards the field with a bottle of Nutri C, let’s just say I didn’t leave there with plenty smiles on my face. After chatting with them boys I realized I was late for my appointment with a friend at Ray Power Ilorin.

Okay, this is the ish. I have wanted to be on radio since I was eight. Since I heard Dan Foster on Cool Fm on a humid Friday afternoon, it has been a lifelong dream to reach people from the corner of a studio through a mic and  headphones just enlightening and gisting with people from everywhere within my station’s signal. So I here I am trying to take a step in fulfilling my lifelong dream and I have to say I am scared as hell. I won’t sit in front of this screen and fiddle with these keys (oya see me becoming poetic.) and act like I was born to serenade the world with my voice; not as a musician that one is a long thing sef, but as an orator preferably as an OAP. So I chatted with Fat Cat a corper serving at Raypower. I will never know the story behind that funny name, his real name is Sunny (and it is pronounced in the funky way o, not the way you guys have pronounced it in your heads).
He is someone I met in camp and we just hit it off. Yemi my lover (from camp too) and I used to call him Fat Cow, we still do sometimes when we want to annoy him.  After my talk with him that is Fat Cat, he pitched an idea to his boss.

I headed home to meet my new oga which is Boredom and had a terribly long meeting with him from there I had lunch with his wife; Sleep. I have to say I enjoyed my lunch (that was a miserably long metaphor. No vex.)
After my nap I played some rounds on the Ludo board. The thing ehn is that I am sort of a Ludo champion now o. Okay, champion is too high up. I am not yet that high; let’s say like two levels above amateur but I am making good progress. This is all as a result of boredom and my phone acting up is not even helping matters. So I have resorted to the next best thing which is Ludo and I have to say I am enjoying it and best of all it is teaching me not to take things like games too seriously. Don’t mind me I am the kind of person that takes too many things too serious.

It rained crazy, before it rained I was talking to Hot Stuff, his real name is Dami. He is really hot and fine and cool. I even had a picture of him before I met him, he was on one of these Instagram pages with plenty cool pictures, where the people don’t look like they exist (you guys know this na). Who would have known I would have met him a year later. 

Well night devotion was a breeze. Yes! Before I forget there is a new Batch B girl in the lodge her name is Bumni, she seems like a very resourceful person.

Before I fell asleep I had a chat with Churchill. I absolutely enjoy talking to him, even more than I am supposed to enjoy talking to a man that can’t reciprocate my feelings. This realisation has sparked something in me and I think it will only be healthy for me implement a decision that has been dancing in my head. 

Nkem Oyaghire 

No comments: