Wednesday 27 April 2016

The Service Chronicles 32: Egusi Soup




This Sunday is the second Sunday in a row that I didn’t go to church, God forgive me. After dilly dallying and having a beautiful long nap I washed my clothes and had my bath had a meeting with Koch and I made him frustrated because I was hungry (it’s good for him)

 I had not eaten that day and by two-thirty pm I was already feeling the strain of the hunger. I hurriedly ate and then went to the kitchen to prepare dinner. Eba and Egusi soup; I don’t really know how to cook Egusi I haven’t cooked as often as it would require for me to become an expert in it. So I started and even tried to start the fire but as usual I failed at it.  Called my barrister bae and helped me with it. When my partner came he did the eba and as I set to start the Egusi I noticed that I didn’t have any vegetable to cook with. From enquiries I found out that they didn’t buy any and I had to use bitter leaf, once again something I am not very conversant with. 

Mildred helped me with it, beautiful lady. As I poured my palm oil on the fire to bleach it, the smoke was too much and then Jennifer had an asthma attack, it just started with her really coughing and it became a full blown attack. We got it under control and I ran back to the kitchen to my burning food and once again God bless Mildred she helped. 

Segun my partner was really afraid I don’t think he had ever seen anyone have an asthma attack; it was funny to see him react that way. The Egusi wasn’t terrible. 

We had night devotion and I tried to do some work on the internet (not yahoo yahoo o, I am a child of God)
Monday dawned well, I woke up on time got to the kitchen and met Gbade waiting for me and the welfare officer was starting the fire. 

We generally had fun in the kitchen with Jennifer and Police baby teasing me. 

When I we finished I rushed to get ready for work and in thirty minutes I was on my way to school. I was a little bit excited to see my students. Now I am about to confess to something that I have been denying for years. I love teaching, but I don’t want to be a teacher. It is a lot of work and so much rides on the efficiency of your work.  

So I got to work late, slept for a while and then all the corpers in my school which happens to be all girls; my school doesn’t take male corpers cos it’s all girls’ school. We all converged at the Bursar’s office for our pay. They still owe me for February.

I got back to my office and bought a drink with three puffs puffs and one buns; the only edible thing in my school is flour and groundnut oil. They don’t sell food and that is why I have added some weight. 

So I ate watched some episodes of Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse cool series. It’s a spin off from Why did I get Married? and Why did I get Married too? You guys should check it out.

When it was time for my class I went to SS2 although I teach SS1 I am standing in for my boss this week.
I didn’t know their text so I just revised their past questions. Then I went to SS1 and I had fun. 
I explained what dramatic irony is in literature, because we are doing a play by Oliver Goldsmith She Stoops to Conquer, and let’s just say it was the height of my day. It is very easy to tell when people are interested in what you have to say and every day that I teach I look forward to seeing my students at the edge of their seats with their eyes gleaming in excitement waiting to know what I will say next.

I quickly rushed my class and rushed back home, I was feeling a little bit frisky with money and I decided to take a bike, the ride was amazing I absolutely love bike rides, the air whipping my face and my hair in my face.
Anywho as I was I enjoying my beautiful ride and trying to persuade the bike man to take me to Fate he hit the rear of a cab and I saw myself fly in the sky with each leg at different cardinal points you know how it is in the movies na.  But that is not what happened, I just saw it happen and I went cold with fear it was just a small thump and we apologized to the cab man.  Nobody was thrown in the air.
I got home safe and ate and went to Raypower, I couldn’t record and I couldn’t do anything. I just sat down there for two hours and did nothing tangible. I was really angry at myself. I came back to the lodge and watched some guys play ball.

Went to Fate roundabout and bought dinner, they made Eba in the lodge again and I couldn’t take it no more. Had dinner and then while I was inside chilling somebody came to kidnap and me and like that I am in the play that would hold this Friday, nice plot and all.

We had a family meeting where Papa prayed for more than twenty minutes and then the meeting kicked off. It wasn’t as exciting as the last one.  But it was good. It was about the pre-fishing of the next day.

After the meeting I had a chat with Godswill and I ran to bed, completely excited for the next day.

Nkem Oyaghire

No comments: