Sunday 24 April 2016

The Service Chronicles 31: One Day and A Weekend




I am tired of skipping days in my chronicles but this used to be so much fun, but I really don’t know. Maybe I am losing the ginger. I shouldn’t lose ginger that would just be bad. Don’t mind me joor. I am being a little bit silly. 

On wedensday I had been fed with some bad news that I we had clearance on Thursday and Friday. That would require I wear my khaki again, now I hate wearing my khaki and once a week is more than enough for me to wear my uniform, plus where I live is very far from where I do my clearance.  Only for me to hear that mumu news, well it’s not like they did it on purpose a new batch is coming next week and they will be needed at camp.   

I woke up that morning happy, I had watched Kung Fu Panda 3 and I felt good. Nice cartoon on Chi and defining who we are. In my opinion some cartoons are not meant for children because they discuss issues that can be lost on children. Well that day was not wasted, did my chores then rested. I wrote my scrip for radio, slept and did nothing. That’s a lie I did do something, I tried to familiarize myself with my father’s website and I think I did a good job of that. The day couldn’t have been more beautiful and then there was light. God will bless NEPA in Fate.  I had decided I would go for my clearance the next day which was Friday. 

We had fellowship and I have to say it was very enlightening; the person that preached was a great teacher. He defined success and although when he started it was a little bit shaky but as he progressed it became a beautiful message. After that I cleaned the fridge, heard some stupid rumors. Tongues can wag faster than that of an excited dog’s tail. The things people would just say out of spite or ignorance I don’t know but people can talk and if you listen it would bring you down to depths of insane lowness. I have managed to learn that  if you don’t want tongues to wag against you don’t wag yours, but the tricky thing about this is that even if all you do is sleep and eat tongues will still wag. You just have to fortify your skin.
That night I went to bed in a wonderful way, I played some music and some games, read a little and went to bed.

Friday started on a good note, until Jennifer said some hurtful things and because my skin is not a semi permeable membrane it does not even have semi it is very permeable I got into a riff with her. Minor stuff nothing seriously hurtful was said and that is a skill I am slowly imbibing; the skill of not saying the most hurtful things when I am immensely hurt.
Did my chores, had a terribly long chat with Koch and then I went to school to get my clearance letter and then off to Ilorin West LG to do my clearance. I saw Yemi my lover she was just doing hers when I got there.
She was my bunkmate in camp, we both got posted to the same LGA and in the clearance book thingy my name is after hers. We were both in the lodge, we rented a house together but that didn’t work out (story for another day).

Finished my clearance under forty five minutes and then headed to Ray Power, saw my boss who edited my script, met a trouble maker who I think would become important to me (let’s keep our fingers crossed especially as he is a fine boy) and then headed to a studio to record.
Hmm. It was not easy I did more than four takes, when we were finally satisfied I ran home, looked for food. As I ran away my producer said the most beautiful words I have heard, he said I will edit it and tomorrow we will play it. When I got home I chatted with that mad girl Jennifer (the morning quarrel had been forgotten).

After I ate I went to sleep, woke up in time to watch a movie and then we had devotion, that was beautiful too. As usual I went into hiding; I just lay in bed and tried to watch my New Girl and Once Upon a Time. Cool stuff and then I got a call.

No other person than Ennie and my o my, we had fun. I can’t remember the last time a telephone conversation made me feel so good. And he sounded so happy, whoever said you can’t be friends with an ex lied. He even mentioned coming here to Ilorin; we will just have to wait for that. After that I just went to bed with a wickedly large grin on my face.
I have honestly made it a priority to have beautiful days.
The mosquitos here are demons. They are so evil.
 They are no respecter of people.
Saturday dawned bright and beautiful I was so anxious to hear my voice on the radio; I cleaned up and moved my stuff to my permanent room. Then exactly by nine I heard the soundtrack of my show and the dream I had since I was eight came to pass. I heard my voice and I said “Good morning”
I just screamed and ran up and down the lodge I was like a crazed rabbit, I had my fifteen minutes of fame and oh Lord!!! Was it beautiful?

The rest of the day passed away as uneventful as the rest of my life.
I have to say my days here are getting more boring as the day goes by; I really need a source of fun and fund in my life, a steady one at that.
NEPA did us bad yesterday, no light for more than eight hours. There is God o. 

Nkem Oyaghire 

No comments: