Monday 18 April 2016

The Service Chronicle 28: The Day After




He was tackling me for not inviting him to the hangout; apparently he heard the gist that we overfed people. You may wonder how he found out. Well his girlfriend came for the hangout I even said hello and did the entire hullabaloo you are supposed to do when you see someone you kinda know.
  When I told CLI Layo that she was Boye’s girlfriend seeing as they sat together, the look on her face transcended ( big grammar, ma binu) shock. 

Well Boye and I had a nice telephone conversation and then we moved to BBM. Nothing major just a couple people chatting in the middle of the night while rain fell.

The DM was from my childhood friend; Nonye, I was shocked that she contacted me but she seemed really cool. We didn’t even try to catch up because we had last spoken during the Ice age. When she moved to Illinois when we were little we just lost contact. But do you know that I can be a terrible person, it is too easy for me to lose touch with people. Like I am very comfortable with losing contact and it is too easy for me to stop talking to people. Thank God for Social Media.

Anywho, I slept pretty late and when I woke up my eye refused to open. All the sunlight of the previous day and the flash from the camera were taking their toll on my eye.  I couldn’t go to church and I missed the thanksgiving service. Sad stuff.

When they got back from church, I asked Peter (lodge friend) to take me to the mall for me to see a pharmacist. Before I left I took a look at my eye in the mirror and it was horrific, it looked like I lent it to a zombie for the night, it looked like something that would future in a movie about the apocalypse.

It was just terribly red. Off to the mall I trotted looking like Ray Charles in Cat eye shades (If I was going to be temporarily blind I might as well look chic) we went to Med Plus and I spoke to the guy there, he told me that something of the sort had happened to him before, gave me an eye drop and I went off to Shoprite.
When I got back took some shots of the drop and I have to say a few hours later I could see, in fact I was able to wear my glasses again. I still had a red eye but it just looked like something a drunk would have.
I napped a little and when I awoke I helped Layo to make some hand bands. She makes that kind that you have to kinda weave (I can’t explain it (in Wizkid’s voice)), pretty neat stuff. Now the strange thing about this is that I am a very hyper active person, if I find anything to do that keeps me in one place and not moving at all it just irritates me.  I have tried to learn how to knit didn’t work the diagnosis was too hyper active, tried bead work it still didn’t work same diagnosis as before.  The one handiwork thingamajig I have been able to stay put for is cooking and baking because it involves a ton of movement and lots of eating (one thing I can manage; movement and one I thing I love; eating.

Let’s just say Layo was lucky, I learnt it and I am proud to say that I was very helpful to a certain extent. When she left I proceeded to finish the Jackie Robinson movie and then I heard a shout from outside.
Upon rushing outside so I would not miss the gist because amebo is my concern and eke is my hobby (better don’t say anything there) I found out that they had put out a new cooking roaster. Let’s just say things were very funny.

The Batch B girls at the lodge are five but only four of us cook, so we were given two meals each to cook (each girl usually cooks one meal per week)  and one male partner, while some boys were paired with fellow boys. I had been paired on the two different meals with the two biggest people in the lodge, Hot stuff and his friend; Segun.  When I saw it I could only laugh and as luck would have it they were both outside so I told them the news.  Well I think we settled that, but the days of the meals are tricky; Sunday night and Monday morning.  God help me.

I created a cleaning roaster that was met with a little resistance but that was sorted. Had a talk with Papa (the president) and then headed to bed. Completely excited about the next day; if only I knew what it held for me.   

Then I woke up late. 

Nkem Oyaghire

No comments: