Tuesday 5 April 2016

The Service Chronicles 16: My Junkies.


The country has gone back in time to a period before electricity hence there was no water Papa Nkem turned on the generator to pump water and since we live on the second floor we had to wait for the water to get to the top before we could fetch and store water. 


Since I had to give my grandmother food and her medication I waited behind and went late to church. Oh by the way my grandmother is much better, she does this thing where she takes out her clothes and rearranges them she hasn’t done that since she my dad brought her from the village. Yesterday she did sure sign that she is much better.

I cooked the only food Nigerians love best; rice and made a salad, proceeded to get dressed for church. After struggling to get into my dress, the zip spoilt. I was immensely mad; I raced back upstairs and changed into another dress. 

When I finally got to church the children choir was performing and then thirty minutes after my pastor started his message. Why he decided to preach on the power of the Holy Ghost on the one day before I return to Ilorin is a mystery. As he rounded up the message he mentioned that if you couldn’t speak in tongues come forward at this point I did.  Yeah yeah, I have not received the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues and I really want to speak in tongues but I think my problem is that I have issues with faith.  Anywho after the laying of hands and all the works that come with trying to receive the Holy Ghost, surprise surprise I still can’t speak in tongues. Oh well. But something really scary happened. So this young girl was in front of the church still trying to accept the Holy Ghost, lo and behold you know this song; fall like a Mango Tree, my dears that is how she just fell and hit her head on the floor, like it was unbelievable. David said that she cried profusely after the service that her head hurt. Poor girl.

Well I got home and found out that I had flooded my room, I had opened the tap to the shower and thought I had locked it and while I was at church NEPA felt it was okay to bring the light hence I flooded my room. I mopped to exhaustion, had lunch and crawled into bed only to be woken up thirty minutes later. My uncle had come with his wife and they needed food. I didn’t sleep again.

Now, the message I couldn’t believe was from an old flame, why they keep popping up like rodents is beyond my understanding. He was all soppy and sweet let’s just say I ended up admitting to something I didn’t want to say. 

So while I waited for my uncle to finish eating, I called Boye and we had another long talk like usual. Well I got to find out something really sad and nice at the same time. It turns out that my future husband is a stoner. Let me tell you something very bizarre; junkies have a thing for me. It not something I should proudly or boldly say. But it is true, one time one of them told me it’s because there’s something addictive about me. Heck what do I know and I have to say that I usually have the most fun with them. 

While he promised to teach me how to blow trees I told him I already tried it before and I it made me cough profusely which is true, then he said I won’t have to take a drag from one he would do it for me and put it in my mouth which is just the promise of a kiss. Now I have to remember that this ridiculously fine guy who just happens to be a very bad good guy (i.e. he is bad at being good) and might have money has a girlfriend and this brings to mind some junkie I was once involved with, his name is Toby and we had tons of fun. He would come to my school and we would just drive round and he would smoke and then we would make out in his backseat while his friend Cody drove sometimes they did donuts and I would scream my head off at the backseat, I have to admit that during that semester I had too much fun, he is also the brother of a celebrity, but it all came to an end when I found out he had a very serious girlfriend. I really wonder how serious it was if he could do random stuff with another girl. During this period, it was a little bit strange for me because I usually think of myself as that girl that doesn’t roll with such fellas. I didn’t think I was cool enough for such a crew but Toby was cool and even though I cut ties with him I still miss that period of my life.  Well I would welcome this new junkie and the freedom NYSC has offered me and see how this plays out (my curiosity won’t be the death of me) 

Earlier in the day someone else sent me a what’s app message and it was a stranger who just happened to not remember how he got my number and lives in the same area as me for a brief moment I thought he was in secondary school but he isn’t. We chatted late into the night very cool nigga. Guess what he also a junkie!!! (They are creeping back into my life slowly) he also attends UniIlorin.

You won’t believe who he and I share in common.  
 Nkem Oyaghire 

2 comments: