Tuesday 5 April 2016

The Service Chronicles 17: Ilorin




Well I got back to the beautiful town of Ilorin yesterday. The land with all my boyfriends, my baby boos and the pests that riddle my life. Ilorin my new home, Ilorin my life for a year. I would stop at this point before I start to show myself as a poet. I left Lagos state few minutes to seven and got into Ilorin few minutes to eleven. The journey was not particularly exciting I mostly slept throughout the journey like usual. The guy that sat beside me took my number, if he’s too old he is 19, no biggie there he can be my new son. The old lady that sat behind me was very talkative. Well it didn’t really bother me because my ears were mostly plugged even while I slept. 
I arranged my stuff, took a bike to Iya Ghana (I don’t know why we call her that, maybe its cos she’s Ghanaian) and bought some food. Came back to the lodge and settled with my food in front of my laptop. Then I heard the great news, the Bishop of the Anglican Diocese in Ilorin lives in the same compound as us and he had decided to dig a new bore hole and this time he connected the water to the taps in the lodge as the God Lord will have it, we have running water in the bathrooms now. It may seem like I’m very excited about something as little as running water, but I would say to you that if you had to time how often you pee because of lack of water or you lived in a compound where the well was just a hole in the ground or you had to strategically plan when and how to wash or you were entitled to just a bucket of water a day even in a weather as hot as this, then you will do a thousand backflips (something I can’t do, because I am a lazy person and I can’t come and break my neck on top of celebration) and a hundred splits (I can’t do that too not because I am lazy it’s just not within my power to do such). 

We no longer store water like a bunch of water peddlers and the cry of “who stole my water?” doesn’t ring out anymore. This is a good improvement and I have to say I am immensely glad. 

So yes Ilorin with all my honeys. Boye called just checking on me and to know if I was back and how my journey was. Nothing particularly serious. I was the just chilling in the palour that also serves as a common room when CLI Layo the one that is being forced to be a polyandrist came in we said our hellos and she gisted me about her cousin’s wedding she went for. As fate would have it, the cousin that was got married has a sister that was my roommate when I was in 400 level; no other person than the one and only Seun Amosu. That girl as my roommate was an adventure for real. As I went through the wedding pictures I saw one of a boy I seen before, Seun’s absolutely cute brother Tobi, bobo o hans gan which in English translates to very very very very fine boy. Well in anger I called the nonsense girl that did not have the sense to introduce me to her very fine brother and stroked her. It was nice to hear her voice again though. 

So Layo and I made a date with the movies to see Allegiant; the third installment in the Divergent series or like some of us would put it Divergent part 3 ( I absolutely hate when people say that). Well Layo couldn’t make it and I saw it alone nothing weird about that I do it a lot. Okay the thing is that I go to see the movies every Monday (maybe not every Monday) here because it is 500 Naira and with free popcorn and I get to buy drinks outside because my bag never gets searched and the mall where the cinema is at is right opposite the lodge. Allegiant was fun I don’t know why they didn’t just complete the damn book, it got terrible ratings and it was a box office bomb. It wasn’t so bad joor. Next week will be Batman Vs Superman. 

Then there was executive meeting that was fun to. I would say that I am glad that I have not had the cause to talk to a lot of people here. Churchill and I had a long talk and the more time I spend with him the more I know he is completely unattainable. Of all the boys I have mentioned here he is the only one that means a lot to me. I am doomed when it comes to things of the heart, he has a girlfriend and yesterday I found out he has feelings for another girl. His love story is actually what is made for movies screen because it is almost a love triangle. He is in a catch 22 with two other girls and none of them is me. Oh well. 

Yes, the person my newest friend and I have in common is no other person than Philip; my madam’s son who I did grown up stuff with. This is definitely going to be interesting. 
Nkem Oyaghire

No comments: