Wednesday 27 April 2016

The Service Chronicles 33: Pre-Fishing




Tuesday I woke up early had my bath and arranged myself for school, I even polished my shoes. It was all methodical. When it was time I rang the bell and we all went for morning devotion after that Papa had a meeting with the Batch B executives which I am one of, after he dismissed us he retained my partner and I, by the time he was through I had to rush to get ready for school. I had an 8 AM class and I wasn’t even ready for it. 

I took a bike and started reading on my way. The book for SS2 this term is Native Son by Richard Wright, as I read I kept wondering if it was appropriate for the age group of that class and even their exposure and knowledge of the things they know about life would not be prepared for the deepness of this text.
I believe some of them will struggle with the things they will learn in this class. 

It is one of the earliest novels that really addressed the issue of racial prejudice and racism in America.
It is sha a very deep novel; if you are not strong at heart don’t read it o. That’s how I was telling these wonderful girls about the novel and when I got to each gruesome detail in the book they all chorused ahs and expressed shock.

It was a good class. Then I went to my office and read some stuff on the internet after that looked for food and then I watched more episodes of Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse. 

After that I played some games, snoozed a little and went to class late. I did that on purpose I really was not in that mood for that class. I don’t like that arm of SS1, I don’t know why. Okay I know why I just don’t want to say why. 

After my class I went to get my money but it was not available. 

Came back to the lodge to get ready for the Pre-fishing, then I pranked Ennie. Funny stuff.
When it was time I went to get ready to get those new Corp members that would be going to camp on the 27th.  The act of getting them is called Pre-fishing the main fishing occurs when they leave camp that is how I came to ACF. 

I had seen some fellowships in front of my school as I left, the front of my school is a major bus park and people drop off there. 

By the time we got there they were teasing us that we were just coming. We sha did our work.
And I have to say it was not an easy something. I was fagged out, we all stood there waiting for buses to come and drop people we would take to the lodge of just inform about our fellowship.

That’s true before I forget, one girl had come in the afternoon and I got to find out that she is form the same village as me, and we come from the same clan in my village. Cool stuff. I was so excited I kept telling plenty people who she was. It’s not every day I get to meet people from the same village as me. 

Back to the pre-fishing, we managed to bring three people back to the lodge and it wasn’t easy.
I got back had my bathe and got everybody ready for night devotion. 

It was an amazing affair, we had a good worship session and then praise was almost bad but thank God for Nimi who stepped in and chai! We danced o. 

The house was full, we wanted to show them what they would be missing if they didn’t stay at the lodge and I think we did a beautiful job of it.

Then came the time for them to introduce themselves, it was like we were buying them. When one person would say their state and if people in the house were from that state, they would shout. It was like an auction. Dunni the former MD (music director) kept shouting that she was from every state that everybody mentioned, even the Igbo speaking states she claimed, courses that she did not even offer or can ever offer she said she studied them. The excitement of that night was high. 

Then when we had to come and welcome them, we all ran forward like we wanted to eat the properties we had bought. 

It was too much fun, we said the grace and then I came to eat I even tried to read but I was too tired.
 
I had a chat with a guy from Covenant and it was the kind of conversation I normally like. 

I went to bed completely tired, the best way to sleep. I felt like we had all done a good job. 

Nkem Oyaghire

No comments: