Wednesday 10 September 2014

The 3"inches rule.

When I heard the new rule implemented by my school which had to do with dress code I was astounded, what more could this people add to the already existing rules? Well my socks got knocked off me when I heard the additions.  Girls aren't allowed to wear skirts that were not 3"inches below the knee and boys had to stop wearing their Michael Jackson style of trousers, shave their beards and do some other silly things. More shocking was when the rule was supposed to commence; which was the next day. In the usual fashion of Redeemer's University, some religious fanatic woke up and felt that we deserved some more punishment for being students in this school and ta-da there was a new law. We the students were expected to follow the rule immediately.  The first question I asked is who informs the public about a new law and expects them to start abiding by it immediately? Even GEJ as thoughtless as he is wouldn't do that. A group of people called the Task Force were put in place to make sure we conform.

You see in this jail of a school,
our former uniform didn't allow for our skirts to have slits, which was bad enough. Now imagine there is a fire or some disastrous event about to take place, zoom we would be able to run fast and save ourselves if our clothes weren't so restricting,  but how in the world can I even walk when I'm wearing a skirt that is straight, without a slit and 3"inches below my knee? More than half of the population of the students are above 18 and by law are adults and as adults I think we are capable of making choices like keeping our beards or how long our skirts should be, it's bad enough we do our best possible to obey all of the old laws but to take your power too far is completely inhumane, unfair and not Christ like, if you decide to take it to religion. I overheard a boy say, "I was keeping my beards before I came to RUN, why do I have to shave it now?"
There are various reasons why this stupid rule shouldn't have been created in the first place. How a person dresses doesn't affect their education process, if my knees are showing I don't think my learning process will slow down or my brain would cease working. If they decide to pick the religious aspect and rub it in our noses then they are still silly for creating this, how I dress would in no way affect how I view God or will even stop him from seeing what is in my heart. These people who are supposed to be the true worshippers of God are full of impurities and trying to purge us of what you consider unholy does not make you clean. There are a lot of issues to address in your environment and the school and all you can think of is how to increase the length of our clothes. This absurdity will affect a lot of things, people would miss classes and the real reason for why they came to school wouldn't be fulfilled. This foolishness has made the gate keepers of our hostel called porters to have more power than they rightly deserve, bullying students and being completely tyrannical in their actions. The typical RUN female’s prayer every morning is “God please let me pass the gate”
The only question I have been able to answer in all of this madness is, what the problem of these people are and it finally dawned on me, their idea of what religion should be is their biggest problem, if not why else would you insist I wear what I won't feel confident or comfortable in just to please what you think is in the bible. If they weren’t so blinded by what they believe Christianity entails then this issue wouldn’t be present.

@nkemoyaghire




No comments: