Wednesday 10 September 2014

Read a book!!!

"Nkem, na you oh" said my friend Ada when she saw me reading a novel not in our list of novels to read. It is usually astounding when people say that and more astounding it is when spoken by English students. All my life the idea I have always had about English students is people who love to read, they read voraciously like they don't have enough time to read all the books available, but not the ones I know. Sometimes when in a gathering with my classmates and I want to ask someone a question about a book I just read or I'm reading. I freeze and shake my head cos I could bet my very last Naira, not one of them would even know what the back of the book looks like or who the author is. One day a member of my class saw me reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie and asked me if it was "Half of a Yellow Sun and other stories" cos she could not phantom how a person could read a book that large containing only one story.
Then it is more embarrassing when a lecturer comes to class and asks who has read this book and all around its just blank faces. My first question "why don't they like books?" Is it psychological or just pathological laziness? When you pick any book to read you are not just travelling far far away into the world of the book, you are learning new things, strangely getting more experiences and the best part; it is way cheaper than going to the movies and much more interesting. My mother says, "If an author writes a book on a thirty year experience, a person that read it in one week would have learnt what it took another person thirty years"
Soji
Now this strange phenomena of people not liking to read is not only in the persona of English students but in the every 10 people 8 don't read. It is only a foolish, shallow person that says I don't like reading. Then how the fuck do you learn!!!! Half of the things you are taught in school is not enough for you to go ahead in life, books tell you about the experiences you never want to really have, they open and broaden the mind-set of an individual. Then some people would wonder why the promotion that is due didn't come through or when the company was downsizing they were cut off, maybe if you read more you would have grown more intelligible.
Now note the reading am talking about is not your notes that are given in class (read those to pass exams not life trails) and not books like Harlequin or Silhouette, I have read those they, lack content and are full of teachings on how to have sex, read books that will teach you satire, lifestyles of the Red-Indians, the history of Herbert Macaulay, and things people think are irrelevant, just read such things and when you speak, people will look at you in awe and wonder what school you went to. They wouldn't know you studied in a book.
The year is coming to an end why don't you pick a book any book and just read. Please join in the movement against the vast amount of stupidity in the world. Just read.
@nkemoyaghire

No comments: