Wednesday 10 September 2014

My Brother is a Terrorist.

The sounds of the bombs and guns echo through my house shaking the walls and making the windows rattle in their sill, although the massacre is happening villages away fear still envelopes me better than my blanket. I can hear the collective sighs of everyone in my house, they keep wondering when our village would be hit. Adamu my brother is missing but to me he isn’t. I know exactly where Adamu is, so does my entire family, my cowardly father who I used to associate with wisdom thinks he is the better son because he is fighting for our rights as Muslims, the madness that runs in their veins has seemed to elude me and now I’m the outcast.

The other day at the bus station at Benin I got searched more thoroughly than any other passenger, just because my accent gave me away and even my manner of dress didn't help matters, even those that looked more hardened than I do didn't get as thoroughly searched as I did. How could I blame these people for their fear when people like my brother are raiding the Northern half of the country, my religion which I reverence and learned by means of education although Arabic is now being desecrated by my brother and his friends. They don’t want education yet their tools of warfare were created by people who are Nobel Laureates, education they forget is a means of acquiring knowledge, even if that knowledge is how to activate a bomb or how to send a message via YouTube, education is how they know how to shoot and kill, they forget education is a basic instinct in man. If you are against Western Education practice what you preach and don’t use the fruits of this great education. They kill our people in the name of a religion; the same religion that is a bond for both the deceased and the killers. They want a Sharia state that only benefits men forgetting that the girl child is a tool too important to be dismissed.
I would love to go to university, I want to be a doctor which is a thing of pride to most families but I dare not voice my desire or I shall be seen as the black sheep. My brother Adamu is a terrorist and my ignorant father thinks he is a hero; I feel sad for him that he hasn’t yet realized that his son has run mad. I left my village two days ago and I can see a better future for myself where it doesn’t involve me kidnapping children and blowing up my country.
@nkemoyaghire.

No comments: