Thursday 17 March 2016

The Service Chronicles 1:The Zonal Meeting Guy



Hi, this is me turning my boredom into something that might be fruitful. So I would ask that you bear with me and follow me on this journey of faction, where I give you a retelling of my life during my service year. Enjoy every single entry and I promise to do my utmost best to be punctual with my entries. Enough talking let's get to reading.


The Zonal Meeting Guy

Yesterday was Community Development  Service (CDS) and I got there pretty late. Just as the Anthem was being recited, which is the last thing we do at every meeting. Very late; my kitchen duties won’t have let me leave earlier and although I could have rushed immediately I had finished cooking and just gone to CDS early, it just wasn’t worth my time or me forfeiting my make-up session. I also had to listen to Churchill play. He is so talented; why he thinks Julliard is unattainable is highly unreasonable, because when he strums those keys, angels actually descend. Okay, maybe that's a little bit too much, but you get my point.

Anywho immediately I got to CDS with my friends it was over. Hooray for me.  Was about to go and sulk somewhere, then I saw him. It was the Zonal meeting guy. I finally understood why I had to take so long in applying my face with things that are supposed to make me look prettier. You know make-up thingys. He is Zonal meeting guy because the first time I saw him it was at that hellish thing called a zonal meeting and on that day he made waiting for three miserable hours (it is usually longer than that but i got there late) worth it. 

Since then I have seen him on all occasions I have had to wear my Khaki.  Well right beside him stood a friend from the lodge; Koch. After crossing all the obstacles that are women and their baby bumps or their babies on their backs (this is the kind my CDS is riddled with), I finally got to where Koch stood, said hello to Koch and decided to speak to Zonal meeting guy. Didn't even ask Koch if he had submitted my card. All I wanted to do was to talk to him.
This is why I can't remember when I said “Hi”
And he quickly replied “hello”
Taking it as a good sign I decided to stand on the other side of the really really cute Zonal meeting guy.
Not having anything to say I started singing a line from FAlz’ Soldier.  
“See me see wahala, I don enter Yawa ooo”
I had just seen the video and it won't stop playing through my head.You should see it if you haven't.
 
And this beautiful boy opened his beautiful mouth “Don’t enter Yawa o”
With that he officially began our friendship and maybe marriage. Just kidding, I promise!
In my head the angels took to the mic and sang the Hip-hop version of Gloria Excelesis.  It took me a while to realize what had just happened and then I quickly entered action mode.  Asked him his name to which he replied Boye and then we kicked off.  Apparently he knew someone at the lodge. None other than Godswill; we call him Uncle here, Lodge executive issues. Nothing amazingly great.

I would bore you with details of how we struggled; rather I struggled to get my CDS card signed. Ilorin West can be a tad bit stressful.  How we kept stealing glances at each other.  Okay, I lied again. How I kept stealing glances at him and prayed he would look back. God was listening because he did stare back, sometimes. Booya! 

At the end of it all,  I stood waiting somewhere for nothing to happen as usual, he walked towards me. Fine boy; just kept rolling in my head. Honestly I have a problem.
When he got to where I stood he asked the question every girl wants to hear from a guy she thinks is cute and might never stand a chance with. 
“Can I have your number?”  and once again I knew that when I woke to cook a meal for forty-five people over a coal pot, extremely tired for I had decided to spend half my night having a heart to heart with Churchill. That God had said it is time this girl deserved some butterflies again.

I would tell you more of how my day went, nothing close to great except I had a rift with someone but still too many unnecessary details.  I might tell you of how I waited all day for him to call and how everybody felt it would be great to call me throughout yesterday. My mother;God bless her, my cousin! Like who calls their cousin? But I still got a ton of calls I didn't want. 
Until. After I had resigned to fate and felt this was another fluke of a nigga.
My phone rang and I said my standard receptionist speech.
"Good evening, please who is this?"
And the voice on the other side said "this is Boye."
I almost cromped right there in front of all my roommates but I remembered my promise not to have a lot of outbursts.
Immediately I calmed down and in a subtle and coded manner I spoke to the Zonal meeting guy, aid my goodnight. Blew a kiss at my phone, hoping he; my future husband gets it (I am kidding!!!).
And when I woke this morning; a text. 

Nkem Oyaghire


5 comments:

Unknown said...

😎👍......nice story

Nkem said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nkem said...

Thank you namnam. 😘😘

Anonymous said...

...h2h ni...!

NC.

Nkem said...

Be there denying the truth. 😝