Monday 21 March 2016

The Service Chronicles 5: Concert Night




The text said “Leave him alone”; it was a big shock because from all indications I was not with anybody’s him. Let me tell you something that you may not know; I like trouble a little bit too much, so much that I like the Lenka song Trouble; download it if you like trouble it makes a great soundtrack for marching boldly into any situation that smells like trouble.

So as I dialed this person that had the audacity to send me such a cryptic message, Trouble played in the background in my mind. When the person picked I spoke in the iciest way I could possibly speak to anybody and that was a challenge because I can be all sunny and cheerful all the time (tragic flaw of mine).
“Hello who is this?” I inquired from the strange person on the line and a girl that sounded like a rabbit replied it’s "Mosun”
I said “you sent me a text message”
This opened a flood gates of insults from this rabbit voiced girl to which I replied with torrents of insults too; after a few minutes of interrogating each other (with my credit o) it was discovered that the message had been sent to a wrong number; me in this case. My new enemy and I parted ways and I finally headed to bed.
***************************************************************************
Service on Palm Sunday was a blast and after the one hour service (don’t you just love orthodox services) I ran to the lodge to begin my frenzied typing. I had to create more slides for the concert I had invited Boye to. After looking and acting like a mad scientist, I rushed to get ready for the concert keeping in mind that Boye might be coming and I would see a boy I had been successfully ignoring for weeks.  The boy has been named Pixie Tobi by all of us in my head.
Like really, why this guy with Pixie-like ears would not cease from asking me if I like clubbing is making me wonder about myself. At least respect the fact that you met me in a church. But no! He wants to get to know me while I grind him; like my butt would tell him all he needs to know about me or he expects me to yell all my hobbies while E fe Jo Ku is blared from speakers taller than me. Oh no! Biko; I am not that type of girl.
The first time this guy met me was at his church I where I went to represent the fellowship; Anglican Corpers’ Fellowship (ACF) on mothers’ day and this guy stared so much. I could honestly feel myself being stripped in his mind and we were in church! After the service he had the balls to send an usher my way I sent the poor usher back to him and told him to tell the ballsy imp to come tell me by himself if he wanted to see me. Only for me to give him my number to get him off my back and this Pixie of a boy starts to invite me to all the clubs in Ilorin. Me that I don’t know anything and anywhere here.
So with all these in mind I dressed the way a good girl trying to look hot and maybe slutty would.  Okay not so slutty but you get the image. I just tried to look good joor.
To church I headed with my hair in a stylish mess, a chiffon top and a faux leather skirt with white soled flats ready to storm St James Anglican church with my slides. As I stepped into the compound I saw Tobi Pixie (he has pixie ears for real). Well he gave some sort of wave and I threw some sort of wave back to him.
As the concert started I noticed I needed an app to make my work better, thus began my running around. Right there I began my tutorial and practical on Easy Worship and the name is a lie, there is nothing easy about it. Trust me, this is firsthand information. 
As I was still trying to deal with this incident my phone started to buzz, lo and behold; Boye!!!
Without hesitation I dropped my duties (okay not that quickly) picked my call and in five minutes Boye appeared. He couldn’t stay for the entire service for some silly reasons. Now the beautiful part of this is that when Boye came he drove into the church compound (yes he has car) and I was in the front seat and guess who saw me properly? Yup, you guessed right none other than Pixie Tobi. Yes let him know that… okay I don’t know what I want him to know but he should just know whatever it is he wants to know.
The concert was a blast, I felt slightly bad that I didn’t do enough publicity  especially as I happen to be the Assistant PRO, nonetheless the concert slayed and at the end of it to all I went to bed happy for the person whose shoulders it mainly rested on; Churchill. For the grin I saw on his face made all those sleepless night he had made it worth it for him, all those days we couldn’t hang because he needed to “practice” had paid off.
I’m still waiting for a reply to the thank you text I sent.
And my phone buzzed. 

Nkem Oyaghire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...learning on the job heh...!

NC.

Nkem said...

It was not funny that day.