Friday 25 March 2016

The Service Chronicles 8: RIP Rose



Wednesday was spent in the hospital by my grandmother’s side. She is ill. Old people sickness; nothing and something serious. She should be discharged by tomorrow. I spent most of my time watching trailers and downloading more episodes of New Girl. I have successfully almost finished 3GB in less than a week. Well it has all been for a good cause. I saw the trailer of this movie; Me before You. Now I have managed to make myself anxious for a movie that won’t be released until June. I will read the book in the in the long period of my wait. Game of Throners; Daenerys Targaryen is in it. After my perusal of the internet I napped a little. I got home by six whipped up something in the kitchen and after Chronicles of Narnia; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe I went to bed. The day in general was a little bit mundane.

The next day; Thursday was supposed to be blissful. I spent most of the day indoors. Went to get David’s result; he passed. As usual.  As I was about to take a nap, I saw something that blew the ground from beneath my feet. It was the picture of a former course mate and the PM read RIP.
I quickly called one of her friends and she confirmed it.

Rosemary Nkanta is dead.  She had died as a result of an accident on her way back from a musical concert at our Alma Mater. 

The first time I had noticed her was in 100 level. Dr. Ekpe (he was just Mr. then) walked into the class and as if he recognized her as a star he just pointed at her and said you will be my course rep and just like that she became the class president. Over four years she shone bright like a star. Leading the class academically and in all ways possible and like every leader she had problems with people but that didn’t diminish her star power. She ignored all our complaints of her “meanness” and still did what was necessary even if it didn’t sit right with the rest of the class. She was a true leader who never let the stones of our words get to her.
In church she was flying high. If you heard her sing, you just might catch a glimpse of God. She opened her mouth and melodies poured out.  I lived opposite her one time and I looked forward to times when she would serenade all the blocks within her vocal range.  She was a wise girl. Sorry woman and for the first time in a long time I cried. For how will a girl who had such a bright future, a future so bright that the sun had nothing on its brightness just go like that?

She was somebody I sometimes aspired to be. She was a beacon of aspiration for a lot of people who may have never admitted it but know it deep down themselves they know this.

Her death has put my life in a little perspective. If she who seemed to be so close to God, what about we who are far from perfect in His sight and still alive? We should wake up grateful for each and every day that we wake up and pray that we will be ready when we are called home.  I still see her with her long hair packed at the nape of her neck as she hashes out issues in class and tries to reason some things with us. I see her walk on that stage and collect her handshake for graduating at the top of the class with her first class that she worked immensely hard for.We were not the closest of friends or anything close to that, nonetheless I would still miss her.

Rosemary Nkanta in all ramifications of this phrase as a good person, she deserved to see God and if we want to view death as an escape from this miserable earth to a blissful heaven. Then I would say it’s all good. For as we Christians like to say God is in control. For his word says in Romans chapter 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose”. Rosemary is gone and as it is said we should give thanks in all things.

She was a beautiful girl who was very intelligent and had the voice of a angel and the charisma of a leader. I will definitely miss you. Go and join the chorus in heaven they have been waiting for you. 

The rest of the day was spent like every other normal day that lacks major activity. I watched some T.V the get distracted, had a long telephone conversation (okay it was whatsapp call but still telephone ish) with Oyinkan; she is Bae. Cooked dinner and went to bed. I know that I mentioned being frightened of letting an old flame back into my life, all of this I will discuss in the next post. 

Nkem Oyaghire 

No comments: