Friday 24 June 2016

The Other Woman



I am she
The reason for your tears
The cause of your headaches
I am she
I keep him warm-in
Your absence
Is my presence

I am she
The third party in your bond.
I am his joy
In your anger.
His woman,
When you're being a baby.
And his pillar
When you have crumbled.

I am she
His confidante, keeper
Of matters unknown
To you
Matters about you.

I am she
On the phone
When you pick
With your voice raised
In panic and suspicion
Asking. "Who is this?
I know you can hear me
Who is this?"

I am the unknown caller
By 2
I am Kayode he crashed with
I am she
In whose bosom he lays.

I am your partner in him.
When I stroke his beard
In my bed
He sighs
And your face flashes.
Guilt rears its ugly head
But his strong strong arms
In which I lay
Send your face and guilt to the dark.
I am she.

I am why he strokes right.
I taught him how
To lay it good.
I am she you smell
On him
She; whose Classic lipstick
Is on his collar,
She who fed him
Not just food or love
I am she who filled his appetite.
For the things
Your uptightness would refute.
I am the voice you hear
In every background
And your name is a taboo
And my existence is your horror.

I am she
Who loves your man.
She; who does him right.
She; who is
The other woman.

Nkem Oyaghire


No comments: