Friday 17 June 2016

Age Steps




The steps of growth
Line up before me.
I am not far from the bottom.
Neither am I afraid of  heights 
But these steps make me dizzy.
I just scaled through some fears
And I am still breathless.
The climb stretches further than my eyes
Or mind can see.

There are bruises from slipping
The Band-Aid of experience
Sticks to my skin
The spirit of betrayal stings
This is a one man walk.
But I still drag baggage
Of friends.
Friends unsure.

I face the step of human relations
And I am falling.
Grasping for help.
One man walk; I forgot.
The cuts from this have not healed
May never heal.

I am too unsure and fearful. 
So I pitch my tent.
Tired of trying.
This step is too steep
My legs too short.
My hands too tired
And my heart battered.
One man walk.
But I need banisters.
For in this walk,
If I slip;
I may never rise.
Above all of this petty.

The steps of growth
Line up before me
I can't wait to get to the top.

Nkem Oyaghire

No comments: