Sunday 1 May 2016

The Service Chronicles 36: Longest Friday





When I woke up on Friday morning I was still seething from what Gbade had said the previous evening. Like immediately I got back in I had to tell Yemi my lover. I was really embarrassed by what he said. 

I rallied everybody for devotion did the routine and hurried inside I didn’t want to mistakenly see him or anything. While I swept I told Jennifer what had transpired between us. The previous night Gbade had taken me to a secret and secluded spot in the lodge (the story is not going where your dirty minds are expecting it to). He said he had three things to tell me. Firstly one mumu boy had said something about me (I usually have too much controversy) and how some other boys had concurred. The thing is that I have a sharp and wicked tongue and sometimes I can come on a little bit too strong when I address some things and  people don’t like it especially boys. He didn’t tell me the name of the guys or the names of those that agreed with him. All he said is that I should be kinder to their sorry asses. That I can do, most of them are not even worth the bother I swear. 

Then we discussed something about his future that he needs my help with (once again it is not what you guys are thinking). 

And he dropped the bombshell; he had a lot of difficulty saying what he had to say. Like the way he was acting I thought he was going to go into the routine of “I really like you and I think you are a cool girl. I was wondering of you would consider dating me.” I really don’t know how it goes I have had only one proper relationship in my life and he didn’t even ask the regular way, Make it two proper relationships; I keep forgetting Ayobami. To the bombshell, he said the things contrary to asking me to be his girlfriend. This guy entered into a speech of how he was not ready for a relationship I want to work on myself blah blah blah. 

The last guy that told me that is still asking me to be his girlfriend. Why this is embarrassing for me is because I didn’t send any coded message to this guy telling him that I wanted to date him. I swear I don’t know where he got that idea from. Okay they have been teasing him about me and me about him. But that is no reason for that speech, like that is what you say when someone has asked you to be in relationship with them, he fucked up our good friendship (forget language). There is so much I want to say about this but I have to stop here. Jennifer was livid when I told her. Why he would do that was beyond her understanding.
 I finished my plenty chores, prepared for school and went to see the doctor. Upon getting to the hospital I saw the doctor they said would be willing to do the interview and he asked me to come back by 11 AM and I agreed.

Got to school for my class and told my students that I will be unable to come for their class because I had to see a doctor, no further information. They didn’t need to know that I wasn’t sick.

I left school a few minutes to eleven and went to buy some books, by the time I left the bookshop for the doctor’s office it was 11:15. I still got there before 11:30. We did the interview with no hassle and I was on my way. As I was entering the lodge the Ford Explorer guy called me, funny guy. He said he wanted to see me, these men don’t know that when I have made up my mind not to ever see you again it actually happens. I can be in my house, I might even see you drive by but I will not come outside. That’s just how I am.
I got out of seeing him claiming I had work to do, which I actually did have to do. I had Brunch and headed to Ray Power. They didn’t even let me in; I had to sneak in past the gate men. That has to be fixed. After my recording, sorry rcordings i hat to do about fifty million takes (somebody help me)

I went to see my boss in Ray Power, she had to go to the bank and she asked me to wait. Chai! I waited o. I slept and woke up so many times. Good thing she has a sofa in her office. Funny story, the day that sofa was brought to that office I saw it, like the cab it was in passed by me, only for me to get to the office and see it there.

Well I crashed on that sofa shivering because the AC in that office has no chill (pun intended)

Before she came back Alex did. Remember the guy I mentioned last week Friday that would become important well he was the one that came into that office and saved me from death by boredom. We had a chat. Shared a lump of goat meat and a bottle of malt with me and then he turned me into a pimp. I swear I hate it when guys do that. 


By the time I left that office I was exhausted but kinda refreshed maybe cos of all the AC I had gotten.
Got to the lodge and Ford Explorer guy ( I have a confession; I saved his name as kidnapper on  my phone and now I can’t remember his real name) called saying he wanted to see me. It was Jennifer that spoke to him; nigga said he wanted to spoil me blah blah blah. That kind of talk just turns my stomach if it is from somebody I don’t really like.

Oga was a no show, I wasn’t too mad; I didn’t want to go in the first place. 

The drama team which I so just happen to be on had a rehearsal for the vigil of that night; I am currently wondering why and when I was subjected to this mumu life of a busy bee, somebody save this lazy girl from this life of unnecessary and too much hard work.  

I went to have a bath and nap before the vigil, when it was time for the vigil Jennifer almost had to carry me. 
A girl was fagged out but I still had to turn up. All this hard work is what gives grey hair early.  

Like I told Yemi my lover when she asked; the play was good but I don’t know about the vigil. Once it was two am I walked inside, took off my bra and crashed with the rest of my clothes on my back. Mi ole wa ku (I will still marry that Yoruba boy so why not practice the language) 

Nkem Oyaghire

No comments: