Saturday 3 October 2015

The Call



It has been four days after;
Idly I sit by my phones
Waiting for the sound of Big Sean
To announce a caller.
Anxious for the beep of a message
Not from the Network
Offering promises of elusive bonuses
But from him.
To tell me he was shy
And he missed me mildly.
To assure me that I'm not mad.
All the while wondering
"What is wrong with me?" 

It has been four days since the first kiss,
Four days since I last felt real butterflies,
Four days since anyone dared,
Four days since a burning of that kind.
Four days since... After a year.

In my mind I have played
The tape of a conversation.
Rehearsed the first words I shall utter
Speculating whether to be coy or nah
To display anger or  nonchalance.
Still unsure as to my preferred reactions
I have prepared myself to sound
Like a lady
To pretend I have been unexpectant
Like I'm not lonely.
All the while ignoring reality,
Willing myself to believe
To have faith
And hold a shred of hope
That it wasn't just it
And that he is not like all of you.
Not a disappointment
Like the past attempts.
Praying he isn't another reason
To not try anymore. 
Nkem 

No comments: