Wednesday 7 October 2015

Childhood Prolonged

Tempus Fugit
Ever spinning clock
Minute and second hands in unison.
Time is flying and I'm stuck in moments
Pictures swimming in my head
Collages of memories.
I can't seem to move beyond the 90's
So I don't grow.
Remain a girl in my head.
Steady in my ever present flashbacks.
Won't be a lady of nineteen
Refusing to acknowledge the raging hormones.
Fire burning in thighs refuting to explain it
Seemingly allergic to the fires.
Curiosity I adamantly restrain.
Still a girl, denying sex, alcohol and drugs.

Tempus fugit.
We are all growing.
I remain a girl, denying my thirthies. 
Body thirsty for growth from a reprobate mind.
Body rebels and won't obey mind.

Tempus Fugit.
I'm older now, not in mind
But in body, actions and social responsibilities
.
Tempus fugit.
My time is running out
Death is near.
My mind still in the 90s, body is ninety.
Breath of the dying seeps from me
Pipe dreams of 6 year old me.
In the lack thereof of an adulthood.
I shall reelish my prolonged childhood.
Without second thought
Would return and iterate. 
Nkem Oyaghire

N.B TEMPUS FUGIT IS LATIN FOR TIME FLIES. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bollocks.

Seyi Ijose said...

Nk wel don, mod british poetry tinz...

Nkem said...

Thank you Seyi