Sunday 1 January 2017

Divorce



Last night my mother called;
"I have left your father" she said.
In that instant my fragile life cracked
But her voice stronger than never

Her resolve obvious
I knew she was serious.
In his defence;
"But you love him" I said.
"Love is subjective" Mama Michelle.

I had a dream of them
Of things he did
And of that she hid.
Images my mind had thrown away;
Grainy like android videos on Snap chat
Yelling of adult voices
The kiss of a fist against a face
I just can't see whose face clearly
My dream is foggy

My mother left my father
With that she told me
All I had wondered for years.
There is only so much
Love will give you.
It’s not a genie or a god
It won't change him
Love is merely anesthetic
For as long as you let it.
Eventually you either wake up
Or you die under.

Nkem Oyaghire


No comments: