Sunday 15 January 2017

Nne




Nkonye she calls me;
Possessively owning me.
Placing powdery lips on my forehead
I push our chests closer together
As I wrap my arms around a skin of tyre.
My mother of two generations ago.
Whispers prayers in a language we don't share.
Nodding in affirmation to familiar sounds
That my brain can't interpret.
Her eyes dim in concentration
An attempt to string words I know
Is futile.
Her papery brown skin with patches of black coupled with
The hint of a tattoo, peeking from her sleeve
Speaks of a history I will never know.

When I look at her, I see me in fifty years
The manifestation of love carried over from generations.
The epitome of experience is in my arms
We share more than we aware of.
Our difference of time spent here;
Foreign tongues and conflicting ideologies
With our eyes that view people differently
Hide our sameness.

Nne I call her,
My twin who came years too early.
Would soon leave me
In the wake of dust to dust.
And I shall have none of her wisdom for
My wicked tongue refused to bend and know that which she understands.

Nkem Oyaghire



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...two sides of a coin...

NC.

ProSyd said...

A lil sad, but lovely

Coleman Collins said...

This is the fairest of them all!