Saturday 17 December 2016

Love in Traffic





There was a collision of eyes;
Within the traffic of third mainland bridge.
In the festering heat and the clap of a fan with hot air.
Amidst the silent wails of weary people mixed with
Loud complaints of buttocks tucked for too long.

The swish of cotton against wool-
Begs the question of wool in heat enough to bake a cake.
Across the sighs of twenty passengers
And the cries of forty feet.
I fell in love with a stranger
Unlike the movies,
Nothing went still and I kept breathing
My heart started no race against time.
My stoic face of frustration
Slowly transformed into a foreign thing
Adjusting itself around my mouth
With the same difficulty of a fat woman in a plastic chair.
Within the traffic of Third Mainland
And the orchestra of horns.
He smiled back. 

Nkem Oyaghire

No comments: