Friday 16 September 2016

After this Ball


We are at a ball,
But I can't find you.
In the crowd of faces
You have faded.

Still standing- still,
Patiently, maybe foolishly 
Waiting. 
I search deeply for you.
Unwilling to move
Waiting earnestly
For you to appear.
Surrounded by the swish
Of love.
I long for you,
But you are missing.
The crowd and your face are one.
Every five minutes I feel you.
Lightly kissing
Uttering apologies for abandonment
Explaining the pull of your soul
To dark places.
But I need my fix;
You.
Take me
To where light dare not shine
I will illuminate it with my smile.
Drag me along
To where you're needed most.

The ball is drawing to an end.
Your face is fading from memory;
Exhaustion from your absence
With feet that feel like needles
Mixed with the knowledge
That forever gone you are-
Testing a virtue I lack;
Patience.
I am failing and flailing
Hoping you grab me.

Leaning into the shoulder
Of jumbo ears
Telling him my pain
And let him sooth me.
Soak him with tears
And enjoy his availability.
Salsa with my dainty feet, 
Waltz all I can,
Tango till the break of dawn.
When this ball ends,
A shoulder to cry on
Is the shoulder I wake up to.

Nkem Oyaghire



No comments: