Friday 9 January 2015

My Great Expectations.



My expectations are not the things I want but what others expect of me
I’m a young black girl, who is fighting to not be defined
Either by my colour or gender
Not to be defined by my grades or likes
But I, we all live in a segregated world
Where everything and everybody has sections
Where a faction makes a person not the person a faction
I want to be a free spirit but even spirits have sections
I will like to question why things work the way they do
But I can’t question my maker
Why is that I would love to ask,
But my bible which has also segregated me to the ‘good, proper, better’ faith and means of worship
Has said I shouldn’t
This is the reason why a lot of us are blind, myself included
We only see what a religion, tradition or parent says is right
Even when the wrong is so much more reasonable
Whenever I see a balloon floating into nothingness
I can’t help but feel envy
Because that balloon has fulfilled its only responsibility;
To be free and fly away
The order of my days is confusion
I never know what I want
I only know what is expected of me.
@nkemoyaghire



No comments: