Friday 3 October 2014

Once Upon my Broken Heart

Once upon a time I overheard a conversation between two people. A boy and a girl. Amidst tears and very distraught she asked him, how he felt when he saw Ginny the girl he loved with Dean another boy; she had just seen the boy she loved kiss another girl. He hugged her and all he could say was "it feels like this". His response was really silly to me and I didn’t deem it important then. In light of recent events I dig into my memory to find a cure for the pain I feel and then I remember what that girl asked that boy, but now instead of replaying what he replied I fill in the blanks with my own words.
It feels like a million rocks in your stomach and you feel frightfully heavy, it is really scary cos at that moment you become short of breath not because you have been running or even doing any tedious thing, you are just really scared. Scared may seem too big a word to use but the feeling that envelopes you when you realize that the person you thought perfect for you doesn't seem to think you fit into their picture of perfect. In that moment of fear your stomach clenches and you think that nothing else in this world matters apart from the pain you feel.
It feels like a knife was stuck into your gut and twisted repeatedly and there's nothing you can do about it. Helplessly you stare at the situation in front of you and you know without a doubt that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to salvage your slowly breaking heart. You feel like your heart is been crushed and the images of the two of you slowly dissolve into nothingness, in most cases it is at this point that tears spring forth and all the feelings and emotions that you can't explain are displayed in form of tears, for that boy was right, there are no words strong enough to describe the feeling of a broken heart. 
I write this in the aftermath of the pain I felt months ago and remember that the journey to a healed heart that seemed ages away is coming to an end and in the words of this too popular and cliché quote I say; what didn't kill me made me stronger and now in remembrance to that brief moment of shared pain between that boy and that girl. I smile and I know that I can truthfully now say "I'm fine." When asked "How are you?" Because now I know I no longer feel a very deep longing and so much pain when I think of you.
@nkemoyaghire

No comments: