Thursday 13 April 2017

Dreams are not Battlefields


So you think you love him,
He makes you tingle in all the right places
And he springs you up from your abysses.
He is all the clichés that comes with the feeling of love,
Sweeping you in a whirlwind of fantasies may come true.

But I hear you from your sleep; things that don’t sound like love escape with your dreams.
His name is followed by; no, stop, please and I am sorry, I won’t do it again and sometimes you are silent but your trashes in your bed keep me up.
Who is this demon that ruins your dreams and gives me sleepless nights? 
Why do you battle him where you can’t win?
We know your mind won’t stop him and dreams are not battlefields,   
You say you love him but love doesn’t come with bruises.
You have new birth marks that hurt when you move too fast and your eyes are forever watery.
I know love is supposed to be painful but in a delightful way,
A pain that can be erased by the sound of his voice or the notification of a message that says “hello princess”.
Not a pain that requires a doctor’s visit and the proper application of MAC Pro.
Honey, I know you love him but your image of love is askew,
Convoluted by the desperation of your loneliness.
Step away, throw yourself out of it and you will see that being in your own company doesn’t hurt as much. 

Nkem Oyaghire

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Chai! Love is a beautiful thing. Well done.

Unknown said...

Love this beautiful piece

Tolu said...

#ILove

Nyx said...

I love that you keep writing. Good piece here.

Nkem said...

LOL. It is o. Thank you very much.

Nkem said...

Thank you Lilian

Nkem said...

Oshe!

Nkem said...

Thank you my love, you should write something. After all it's because of you I write